Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Experiences Make Us Stronger

So tonight, I experienced my first group therapy session. If you are in need of therapy- I strongly suggest Family Tree Counseling. It's been one of the best choices I've made.
As scared as I was to open up to a room of strangers, I have to say that the session was amazing. The women in group were accepting, understanding and encouraging. I felt great when I left.
When I mentioned the ex and his current dating choices (he's 32, she's 18, they've known each other for 4 days and already spazzing on each other) I was told to keep a quote in my head and in my heart:
Truly powerful people don't try to explain why they need respect, they just don't engage with people who do not give it to them. -Sherry Argov
It is clear to me that his divulging of useless information to me, is his way of continuing to hurt me. I'm putting my foot down, and I'm not going to stand for it anymore. It didn't make me mad or jealous, but it made me embarrassed. It made me feel like I'd spent almost 5 years with a stranger who made me feel terrible about myself.
I'm codependent and I'm beginning to understand the importance of recovery. I'm dealing with abandonment issues every day. I'm not a failure, but the recent changes in my life sure do have me on the edge of feeling like I'm nothing but a screw-up. I'm dealing with other dark scary truths as well... but I know I'm strong enough to be able to work though them with the help of some strong supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief... and Depression

From the book On Grief and Grieving ,"Empty feelings present themselves, and grief enters our lives on a deeper level, deeper than we e...