Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Another year older.... not any wiser

So today, I celebrate, quietly, the fact that I'm going "into my thirties." Thirty was a tough year, emotionally, financially and health-wise. Thirty-one isn't off to the greatest of starts, either.
I was let go from my amazing, fabulous job on Monday. I had a fever and horrible cold Tuesday. And Wednesday, I woke up and realized how alone I am. I have the most amazing friends and more Facebook well-wishes than I expected. But, I'm away from my family. Last year, I was sad about lots of things- the end of my relationship, the emotional distress that I'd been going through for the past couple of years, and the thought of moving on was so- scary. But my family got me through it. I remember driving to Tennessee to see my cousin right after the shit-storm hit. She was my rock, supportive and amazing. My family took me to lunch, a friend and her kids met up with me. I had two margaritas by noon and I was feeling good. I went to dinner with my parents and family friends before making the drive back to Indy. I had a job to come back to, an apartment with two obnoxious fur monsters, and mounting bills to be paid.
This year, I woke up, very happy to be able to breathe clearly from one of my nostrils, not so much wheezing with every breath I took and the fever passed- but I was alone. I have never been alone on my birthday. I have no job to come back to, I still have my apartment with the two obnoxious fur monsters, and again- mounting bills to be paid, but I don't have my rock, my job, which I was so proud of- which I loved, which I was good at. I was told just how good I was on more than one occasion, but from a business standpoint- everything clicked a little too late for me.
Now that I'm on my meds, I'm not going to stop taking them. I'm not going to stop therapy. I'm going to keep looking for the next best job and with any luck, I'll take off and soar because I have everything in place to be successful.
I'm stepping down from my soapbox now. Thank you to all my amazing friends and family who has worked hard to make my birthday special. I appreciate it. I'm sorry I'm such a Debbie Downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief... and Depression

From the book On Grief and Grieving ,"Empty feelings present themselves, and grief enters our lives on a deeper level, deeper than we e...