Monday, August 29, 2011

Rose Colored Glasses

I'm trying my hardest to see the world through the metaphoric "rose-colored glasses." I've been going to therapy since July 22. I'm beginning to understand, beginning to comprehend why my life has taken such a drastic turn since college.... since high school....
The skeletons in my closet are getting antsy, some have come out to dance... others will remain locked away for eternity.
My therapist claims that we are only as emotionally stable as the people that we choose to be with. At first, I thought he was crazy (denial). Then, I began to understand and agree with his mentality.
He states that on a scale of 1-10; 10 being perfect and completely unrealistic, I am about a 2.5. He said that on average, people tend to be around 5 or 6... there are a handful of 7s... and he's never encountered anyone who is an 8,9, or 10.
He states that until we begin to heal ourselves, we will continue to attract people who are as emotionally unstable as we are. I don't want to be with someone who has issues. I have enough on my plate myself... so I've decided to take a step back, quit trying so damn hard to create an "us" because in the end, the "us" won't last.
I had my first interview today. I am confident that I made a good first impression. I don't feel that I have the experience that they're looking for. I know I would be able to perform the duties of the job well... and if they're willing to teach me, I'm willing to learn.
I went to the lake with my family this weekend. I had an amazing time with my parents. I feel like there was less stress and tension. I want to work on the relationship that I have with them.
I want to put some of my demons to rest. I want to move forward and grow as a person instead of living in the past.
I went to the doctor today- I'm using my insurance in full effect until it expires on 8-31. Doctor was proud of the positive changes that I've made... weight loss and cutting back on the cigarettes- a lot, with the intention to quit completely. I discovered that my scale is off by about 12 lbs. I discovered this when I weighed myself after II came home from the doctor... and my scale said that I was 12 lbs heavier in 30 minutes after not ingesting anything into my body. I will be purchasing a new scale. (this means that my Wii Fit is more accurate than my scale- and this makes me happy)
I have an interview tomorrow- I'm very hopeful. I have another doctors appointment on Wednesday- to get some skin tags removed from my neck. I hope that along with all of these changes, I will also begin to feel more confident.
I know optimism leads to a happier life.
I want to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief... and Depression

From the book On Grief and Grieving ,"Empty feelings present themselves, and grief enters our lives on a deeper level, deeper than we e...