Monday, April 25, 2011

Lessons Learned

So here I go. Back in summer, 2009 my life came to a screeching halt. A big fight with my "someone" left me a lone, with a kicked in bedroom door, crying. The wedding was called off. I had no idea what to do, where to go, or how to get there. I was devastated and lost.
Luckily, I have an amazing family. While I was hiding, embarrassed for letting the breakup cause me to loose what could have been my dream job, my family found me.
My aunt sent me a letter, just to let me know she was thinking about me. Inside the letter, I found a poem. I hung it up immediately. I still have it, framed, in my office.

Comes The Dawn
by Veronica A. Shoffstall
After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today,
Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans,
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong,
And you really do have worth.
And you learn and learn...
With every goodbye you learn.


That wasn't goodbye. I wasn't ready to accept defeat.
I am now.
Goodbye came on August 13, 2010.
This is my journey with healing, learning, and moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief... and Depression

From the book On Grief and Grieving ,"Empty feelings present themselves, and grief enters our lives on a deeper level, deeper than we e...